Expecto Patronum (A Harry Potter memory)




I can’t believe that it’s been 20 years of Harry Potter. It’s honestly such a crazy thought. It’s been more than 20 years since a generation of great witches and wizards were introduced to a series.


I feel like someone has obliviated the first real memories of how I got into this series, but it’s been a part of my life for quite some time. The first book I remember reading was The Half Blood Prince, which is quite strange if you think about it. I barely remember if it made sense to me. I was about 9 or 10 at that point. I must have liked it because when my mum bought The Deathly Hallows I read it.


Unfortunately, someone was a snitch and spoiled the end of the series for me. I was casually eavesdropping on someone’s conversation while we were waiting in line at school. I was a little bit upset (I think it’s one of those pivotal spoiler moments which I still remember). But that was it, though. This is what I remember from my first real introduction to Harry Potter.


I don’t remember when I first watched the movies. But I do know it’s always been something my family and I would watch together.


My most favourite Harry Potter memory would have to be the time I went to the Harry Potter exhibition in Sydney back in 2011 as a birthday present. It was a whole trip! My brother, grandma, and grandpa came along. It was my very first time in Sydney too, and it was a fantastic trip. The exhibition was absolutely amazing. I was excited to see everything- the costumes, props, sets… so many things! I remember standing in Hagrid’s cabin, with the furniture being Hagrid’s size and it was awesome to stand there, being small. It was a magical experience. I bought myself a Hufflepuff scarf, which I am incredibly proud to wear to this day. (I don’t wear it often, but now that I’ve truly embraced my Hufflepuff side I wear it when it's cold enough for it). I got to see the Knight Bus and even though we could have ridden on it, unfortunately, we didn’t. The magic was real, though. And because here on this side of the world, you don’t get to see things like this often it was an awesome opportunity. Definitely one of my favourite birthday presents.


Over the years I’ve just had this constant love for Harry Potter. It’s always just been there. In different forms- through the people that I have become friends, or through merchandise, and of course the movies!


Around the time when Pottermore first came out- the original one, I was also a part of a Facebook group which I had later become an admin on. Which didn’t really do anything for me, but it was still quite fun. Pottermore coming out was so exciting. I got onto Pottermore the day it came out and took my quiz. I got sorted into Gryffindor, which was interesting to me, but I embraced it. At this time, of course, Hufflepuff’s weren’t exactly cool or accepted, so I don’t think I really thought of myself as Hufflepuff. But now I definitely embrace it. I'm a Hufflepuff, whether the quizzes say so or not. I love being a Hufflepuff.


A Very Potter Musical.


Those words are another great part of the Harry Potter fandom that I love. I remember learning about this while I was with my friend at the Train Station (back in 2012). I’m not sure exactly how long we’d been friends, but it hadn’t been too long. She told me about this parody, about how funny it was. When I finally got around to watching it, I loved it. It was funny and it definitely enlightened my life. And I suppose it also brought me closer to my friend (who to this day is one of my best friends).


Now, let’s skip forward a few years, it’s now December 2015, and I just discovered roleplaying through a writing forum. I had found this little Harry Potter roleplaying site and I had no real idea what I was doing, I had never done anything like it before. But I fell in love. I met people. I was welcomed to Hogwarts. My first character was Sawyer Lawson, and he was a Slytherin, and he’ll always hold a special place in my heart. Through this medium I found a niche, I found my people. These were people passionate about writing and about Harry Potter, what more could you want? I quickly became friends with them and things were awesome. Until the site died. This meant we had to find another one, which we did. We’ve travelled through different site, made new characters. But a few of us have stuck together through it all (we call ourselves the travelling circus). Even if our lives are completely different we still have this common love. It’s rather incredible.


These people, the ones I’ve met online through the wonderful world of Harry Potter, I have never met, only ever talked to them. Yet we have this amazing bond. It’s special. And I cherish it wholeheartedly. These people are awesome and I’m really glad I have found them. They live all across the world and I think that’s pretty incredible. I owe all thanks to JK Rowling and the internet.


There’s something special about the bond that the Harry Potter world has brought into this world. It’s hard to describe. But if you know someone likes Harry Potter- even if they have just seen the movies- it creates this little bond. It's rather special.


Recently, I had a class and we were talking about ‘meaning’. We were asked to bring something in/talk about an object that held meaning for us, and why. I had looked around my bedroom and wondered what I could bring- what exactly held meaning to me? My eyes fell upon my books and Harry Potter spoke out to me. And so I did. I bought it in with me and I talked about it’s meaning. But really, it’s hard to talk about the meaning that Harry Potter has brought me. I just love it, and I know it will always be something that I’ll cherish. My love for Harry Potter won’t diminish. That much I know. And I know I’ll continue to meet people who think it’s special too and I appreciate that so much.



Nox.

-Merel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spider-Man Far From Home - Marvel Monday

The Magic Of Harry Potter